Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Covers Others

From: moonboots@earthling.net (Boots)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 21:36:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Kate Covers Others
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

On 24 Aug 1997 05:19:10 -0400, rtompkin@indiana.edu (Raven Tompkins)
wrote:

Even more different taste in Music:

I've always wanted to hear a Rocket's Tail-like cover of "the Itsy
Bitsy Spider"  (slow, moody, celestial--I can hear it...can't you hear
it?"

Other songs on my wish list

Considering the direction she's gone with TRS and |+), a version of
"Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight"  with new intrumentation would be
really neat.

Fearless by Pink Floyd

If she does any Bowie, for some reason
Life on Mars or Andy Warhol come to mind

She's already done "the Man I Love". but how about some more Gershwin?
Ain't Necessarily So, yeah, I can definitely hear that.

[glazing over for a few seconds]

I guess I'm just a sucker for the standards.

I'm not much into people covering other people's songs unless they can
make them totally their own. Kate could do it with anything she chose,
but I think it would be harder to do it with songs that were
originally female vocalists, and even more difficult if they are
relatively current--that said, if she did Tanita Tikaram's Valentine's
Heart, I think I'd be molten for a few months.

And I think the hypothetical cover set should have some Dylan in it,
she's never done any Dylan. Someone mentioned All Along the
Watchtower, but I must agree that's really not her (I'm sure it could
be if she wanted it to be)...I'm thinking Shelter from the Storm.

Heck if it came down to her covering Metallica, I think I'd still buy
it...can you imagine Kate (sometihng like Violin) doing ooohhh, say
One?

"Landmine has taken my sight..."