Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Songwriting Comparison

From: Fernando Perdomo <FPerdomo@IX.Netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 07:06:23 -0700
Subject: Songwriting Comparison
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I love Kate's music dearly, and Hounds of Love is one of thos records
that transports you to the worlds of Kates Imagination. I love it, but as
a songwriter, My favorite is Kick Inside. Kate's songwriting became very
mechanical on Hounds, Note only drum programming is on hounds. The Kick,
Lionheart, and Never Forever are cohesive performances where her stellar
band feeds of Kates energy and plays allong, My 5 favorite kate songs
from this period are:
1. L'amour looks Good on You
2. Moving/Saxaphone Song
3. Synphony in Blue
4. Breathing
5. In Search of Peter Pan

The Dreaming was as Most of here albums are, a Masterpeice it is more
mechanical but still had complex songs like Pull out the Pin, Houdini,
and Sat on Your Lap.

I was driving with my older brother and we were listening to HOL and I
asked him what he thought(He listens to nothing but alternative) He said
that Kate should stop Banging on drums and write real songs. I was semi
outraged and I popped in The Kick Inside, He had a whole new oppinion on
Kate.

Here is my song by song review of HOL

1. Running up that hill- Elegant mystical stripped down arangement, but
the song is monotonous in mood because nothing really moves in the
arrangement.
2. Hounds of Love- Interesting mix, good stereo stuff, Love the Hound
singing, still the arrangement does not move and change.
3.It is amazing How Tori Amos ripped off The Big Sky with The Big Picture
on YKTR, It is so blatant, Check it out. A dance number, very peppy
drums, not to much emphasis on the verse, the chorus is the centerpeice.A
little Long at the end. Love the Banshee Singing.
4.MSFC- Outstanding ballad, Simple drum pattern, the Babooshka glass
sample, strange sine wave lead patch with strange glissando
characteristics . Mellow and suttle.
5. Cloudbursting- Excellent, awkward timing, Great hook line( I hate whwn
my mom starts singing the string line" da da da da-ect) the arrangment
moves drastacally ading marching snare, BV's,Leads. Stunning.
6. Dream of Sheep- Pretty lullabye, Kind of Irish sence, stunning chords,
It's a tearjerker.
7.Under Ice- solemn and grey, one of those Tingle tunes, Good effects and
imagery in the lyrics, good Build up to...
8. Waking the Witch- A Sampling masterpeice, excellent sound affects, I
like the chords, the song is not to musical but more of a atmospheric
peice.
9.WMWY- The music sounds a little playfull in a childrens cartoon type
vein. Very monoutnous but it does the job when the Hare Krishna Esque
Backwards vocals come at the ending.
10. Jig of Life- Best arrangement, nice progression and cool
instumintation
11.Hello Earth-Hints at the past albums, more complex and
interesting,Least mechanichal drumming on the album
12. The Morning Fog- Good ending song, Great classical guitar playing by
virtuoso guitarist, John Williams.again Monotonous- 3 chords

Hounds Is a great album but not the best.
I don't think kate has a best album.

Best albums of all time

1. In the Court of the Crimson King- King Crimson
2. Darkside of the Moon- Pink Floyd
3. White Album- Beatles
4. Little Earthquakes- Tori
5. Kick inside- Kate
6. Inner Revolution- Adrian Belew
7. who's Next- The Who
8. Boys' For Pele- Tori
9. The Green Album- Eddie Jobson and Zinc
10- The Dreaming- Kate

Thanx for your patience
Fernando Perdomo
17