Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate and Indian Music

From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:47:24 -0500
Subject: Kate and Indian Music
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

A snippet of melody keeps floating in and out of my
head as I continue on the adventure through Indian
culture and music.  I finally realized that it is "Watching
You Without Me" from the Ninth Wave.  While vaguely
aware that this has an Indian lilt, sort of a morning
raga in eight, I had never stopped to listen with new
ears acquired from the research.  Kate is really a
master of adaptation.  Indian movie music is heavy
with strings that parade through the melody like a
bandleader or drum major that constantly walks
through a marching band of drummers.   The melodies,
particularly the high sopranos of much Indian music
are very hard to reproduce without training because
of the microtonal scales.   Kate takes little bits
of these elements and places them throughout the
piece never overindulging or going over the top
with the techniques.   She uses the melody of her
voice and the strings in suggestive but subtle
call and responses that are found everywhere in
Indian music.

>From the dulcet multitracked
low alto washes she starts with, the barely audible
but so effective "huh" she hits the downbeat of
the opening melody with, she keeps the piece
light and ghostly yet full of tiny timbral events
that completely fill the piece.  The bass which
is often lacking in Indian folk music is used
in the places an Indian composer often uses
the Shanai (sort of an oboe).  I can't figure
out if the "whoop" in one section (where the
percussion fills up and the voice begins the
high soprano chorus) later duplicated by the
bass are her voice or the fairlight or both (sampled).

This is very suggestive of Indian movie soundtracks,
but ever so gentle and completely brilliant.

In awe of this woman's work...as always.

len