Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Indian movies

From: rialcnis2@aol.com (Rialcnis2)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 00:06:45 -0400
Subject: Re: Indian movies
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>is
>Rekha.  My source (a Hindu lady at work who recommended the film) says
>that Rekha has been a very prominent and successful actress in the
>Indian
>file industry.  Apparently, Indian film actresses are extremely well
>trained in dance, mime, and singing.  Rekha has a role in the new
>film, Kama Sutra.  I did find a site on the Internet that sells
>Indian films including Umrao Jann.  I see the work and realize what
>Kate Bush could be capable of with that rich a tradition.
>
>>Another recommendation I'd put forward is a new film called "Fire",
which I
>saw a few months ago at the >theatre here in S.F.  I think it is in
English,
>for those put off by subtitles.
>
>Yes, I read the review of this on a page discussing Hindi and Indian
>films.  It
>and Kama Sutra are a bit of a scandal there given the subject matter.
>I'm not sure
>if the local Indian food store that rents vids will have Fire, but I'll
>be on
>the lookout for it!
>
>We attended the celebration of Indian Independence last night here with
>my friend from work and her husband.  The food and dress were exquisite,
>and afterwards, they all danced to music which was Indian melody and
>instrumentation (string-heavy) over a quasi extal/tintal disco beat.
>Very interesting construction as the longer the pieces go, the more
>overpowering and frenzied they become.   Long lines of mostly women
>in incredible costumes whirled and moved while striking sticks in
>common with the beat.  Incredible!  Eat the Music makes a lot more
>sense in this context than the semi-voodoo context of the vid.
>
>The cultural speakers and panel discussions
>were most interesting.  They all seemed to agree that the most serious
>problem
>in India is corruption.  I found it disturbing that among these desi,
>not a
>one mentioned what the World Health Organization lists as the most
>significant
>problem:  the devaluation of Indian women.  The health statistics are
>apalling.
>It is a subject even my Indian friends are uncomfortable discussing.
>
>len

Also check out a video called God is my Witness" and Idian film starring
Sri Devi , who looks and dances like Kate.  The first time I saw it I
freaked out and was speechless....it is obvious aftrer seeing that the
Kate really knows a lot of classical Indian dance that comes out in her
videos.

dc