Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Elton John to Sing

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 05 Sep 97 09:00:47 EDT
Subject: Re: Elton John to Sing
To: fastslow@idt.net (Dongerous), bigalgr@prodigy.net, love-hounds@gryphon.com

--- Dongerous wrote:
> > >It has just been confirmed that Elton John will sing "Candle in the
> > >Wind" during Princess Diana's funeral.  Originally this song was
> > >written for Marilyn Monroe but he revised and personalized the lyrics
> > >for Diana.  I will attempt to get the exact lyrics and e-mail them to
> > >those who are interested.
--- end of quote ---
Greetings Lovehounds,

    I've found the new lyrics for Candle In The Wind in an article posted
in the newsgroup: clari.news.obituaries.    The article is as follows:

   LONDON, Sept 4 (AFP) - Elton John, pop-star friend of Diana,
Princess of Wales, will sing at the funeral of the princess on
Saturday. Here are the words of an adaptation of his hit song Candle
in the Wind, written in memory of the princess.
   The orignial hit, penned in the early 1970s, was written as a
tribute to the late movie icon Marilyn Monroe.
   The lyrics of the song are as follows:

   Goodbye England's rose;
   may you ever grow in our hearts.
   You were the grace that placed itself
   where lives were torn apart.
   You called out to our country,
   and you whispered to those in pain.
   Now you belong to heaven,
   and the stars spell out your name.

   And it seems to me you lived your life
   like a candle in the wind:
   never fading with the sunset
   when the rain set in.
   And your footsteps will always fall here,
   along England's greenest hills;
   your candle's burned out long before
   your legend ever will.

   Loveliness we've lost;
   these empty days without your smile.
   This torch we'll always carry
   for our nation's golden child.
   And even though we try,
   the truth brings us to tears;
   all our words cannot express
   the joy you brought us through the years.

   Goodbye England's rose,
   from a country lost without your soul,
   who'll miss the wings of your compassion
   more than you'll ever know.
-=-=-
Want to tell us what you think about the ClariNews?  Please feel
free to <<email us your comments>> <comments@clari.net>.

Diana,  my you live forever in the hearts of us all.
...and say hi to Jerry for me.   :~(

peace and love

ron