Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Elton John to Sing

From: fastslow@idt.net (Dongerous)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 22:06:47 -0700
Subject: Re: Elton John to Sing
To: bigalgr@prodigy.net, love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: alt.talk.royalty

(A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
alt.talk.royalty)

In article <01bcb9ae$6ea841e0$1f61edcc@alan>, "bigalgr"
<bigalgr@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Janet Higgins <BNTT36A@prodigy.com> wrote in article
> <5unib1$1cqi$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...
> > karin@earthlink.net (Karin) wrote:
> > >
> > >It has just been confirmed that Elton John will sing "Candle in the
> > >Wind" during Princess Diana's funeral.  Originally this song was
> > >written for Marilyn Monroe but he revised and personalized the lyrics
> > >for Diana.  I will attempt to get the exact lyrics and e-mail them to
> > >those who are interested.
> > >
> > >I am pleased that the Royal family has come to this agreement with
> > >Diana's family.
> > >
> > When did Marilyn die?  I remember a singer named Melanie singing this
> > song in the very late 60's, or very early 70's.  Did Elton John write it
> ?
> >   I remember the Norma Jean part only after the first time I heard Elton
> > sing it, which was after Melanie (I think).  She did a better job of the
> > song.  I am personally upset that Elton John will sing at, what else
> > would have been a fitting funeral for a princess.
> >
> Don't be upset.....I think it will come off very dignified.....

Elton John? Dignified? Are we talking about the same Elton John?

> He was one of her favorite singers and it is a beautiful song.....

My ears can't tolerate Elton John, but it's an okay song.

> even though it has new lyrics........

Well, it wouldn't do to have a song mentioning Marilyn Monroe at Princess
Diana's funeral, now would it?

> I believe MM died around '65....
> I also think that EJ wrote the song with his songwriter partner,
> Bernie Taupin(?)

Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics that are so meaningful to so many people. EJ
just wrote the music and performs the song.

> Melanie is doing a different song!

Perhaps the original poster heard the Kate Bush version of "Candle," which
is superior to the EJ rendition in every way imaginable.

- Don

--
I don't believe you can find any evidence of the FACT that I had changed
government policy solely because of a contribution" - President Clinton,