Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Rasputina

From: Kelley Hays-Gilpin <Kelley.Hays-Gilpin@nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:02:16 -0700 (MST)
Subject: re: Rasputina
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
A1-type: MAIL
Alternate-recipient: prohibited
UA-content-id: A2404ZWZND56GY

I got the Rasputina disk from the record club about 2 mo. ago, Renee,
and it just hasn't grown on me at all.  I tried to unload it on the
biggest KaTe fan I know here in this little town of Flagstaff, and
she didn't like it either. I didn't expect it to sound like KaTe, so
it's not sour grapes...I got the suggestion off the Ecto list, where
no comparisons were made, just enthusiastic reviews of live performance.
I think I would like this group live VERY much, but as stereo listening
fare, I think "Thanks for the Ether" is just too uneven, has far too
much spoken content, and seems to wander about aimlessly, IMHO. Different
tastes...On the other hand, just to show I'm not an old grump :) what
DO I like--my copy of Mila Drumke's "Illinois" just
arrived last night, and I love it, especially, of course, "Under the
Ivy," but her own material is also very strong, very personal and mature.
cheers,
Kelley
p.s. anybody want to trade Rasputina for a used copy of Ecto or Rhodes I,
'tis yours. Right now I'm keeping it for the wonderful cover art-- I will
give them an A+ for that!