Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rasputina

From: Renee Rosen <lilitu@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 21:06:39 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Rasputina
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

I just picked up the CD by Rasputina called _Thanks for the Ether_--I
found it for $5 used. It's amazing! I highly recommend it for all KaTe
fans. Rasputina are a group comprised of 3 female cellists (yes,
cellists), who sometimes bring a drummer in to add to the sound. The songs
are filled with dark, Romantic (in the movement-sence, not in the
Harlequin Romance novel sense), Victorian, haunting, historical themes,
and that doesn't begin to describe it. I haven't heard anything quite like
it in ages. It's not a KaTe copy, but the influence is obviously there
(both lyrically and melodically).

Their official website at http://www.rasputina.com has sound clips, but I
don't feel they do the band justice (I'd heard a few of the clips and
liked them but wasn't blown away by them like the CD did to me). There's
also an interesting fan site at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/3388/ which has a FAQ and other
info. They just finished opening up for Marylin Manson, of all people, and
they've opened up for other cool bands, including the Cranes (which is
much more fitting, IMHO). I missed them the last time they were in
town--they were opening for someone I liked but not enough to go to a
show--but if they come back, I will definitely go see them.

No, I don't know any of them and am not being paid by them or their
management to post this, but I had to share my "new" discovery with people
who might appreciate it. Surely I'm not the only Lovehound who likes
Rasputina?
Renee Rosen                   		      "Das Leben beginnt
lilitu@cjnetworks.com                          und das Leben endet.
Goddess in Training                            Die Energie geht weiter,
Astrud and Astrudel on irc      	       wohin man sich auch wendet."
http://www.cjnetworks.com/~lilitu                         --Nina Hagen