Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (long) Respectable artists my <ahem>

From: wfjcfjr@aol.com (Wfjcfjr)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:28:04 -0400
Subject: Re: (long) Respectable artists my <ahem>
To: peterf@howling.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>My specific example is that of L. Frank Baum who wrote " The Wizard of
>Oz".
>A cute, children's story accepted by the masses.

"The Wizard of Oz" was definitely NOT a children's story. It was a satire.
A political one at that (The Cowardly Lion was William Jennings Bryan).
Not only is your position historically incorrect, it is pedantic and
self-serving. I am not condoning Baum's position, I am simply stating that
you have grossly misunderstood what his position and writings were about.
Try to show some historical accuracy as well as some knowledge of the
subject you are addressing before writing about it.