Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

What is Music for?...

From: "katya" <katya@clear.net.nz>
Date: 17 Aug 1997 07:57:44 GMT
Subject: What is Music for?...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hi all    :)
	I've a condession to make. I've been getting impatient with KT. Impatient
and irritated that I had nothing fresh. I'm sorry. However, 2 things
happened today to remind me of my foolishness. 1) I found out I can get the
Cathy demos and 2) I just saw a 2 hour movie made at the "Message to love"
festival, held in the Isle of Man, 1970. And, this is what set my mind to
rights.
	As per all large festivals of that time, the issue of money became one of
the major focusses of the show. (Maybe because only 50,000 of the 600,000
vistors to the concert paid.....) I saw the Who, the Doors, Jimi Hendrix,
Emerson Lake and Palmer, Joan Baez, and a personal Fave, Joni Mitchell.
During Joni's performance, there was a disruption by some fellow who seemed
to have had "too many drugs today". Later on, the crowd was threatened with
'no music' if more money wasn't recieved, and the organisers in turn were
blaming the musicians for their threat. One dude associated with Jethro
Tull complained one of the major promoters (behind the stage) "not to bring
the artists into this". Fair enough too. However, it made me think. Society
seems to have altered it's perception of the music, and many groups amongst
us probably see music as a very different thing to anything our forbears
knew. Joni carried on performing after the guy was taken away, but not
without a rather emotional reminder that (fairly close to her words)
"...it's my thing to get off with this music, but it is very hard thing to
do, when, like, last sunday I was in the desert watching a .....(an
American Indian word for some holy ritual)......and there were tourists
acting like the indians, and indians acting like the tourists. Today,
you're like a bunch of tourists!".
	So, maybe Joni was saying that it was harder to make the music, when the
crowd wasn't giving their all. Fair enough too. I understand that! I'm a
very scared performer to my cat, and she was trying to sing to 600,000
people. Anyway, music can be claimed as an ultimate personal achievement.
It scares me sometimes, how much many people take music for granted. Like
the people I sell music to everyday. I wonder how many of them are really
appreciating it, really, fully, beautifully. Because that's what it is.
Beautiful. And, I should not be impatient, but grateful that I have all
these wonderful KT albums, and she made them, and they are beautiful. She
could have chosen to sing to the fencepost, but instead, she shared herself
with me. And, I feel richer today for that. Life is beautiful, and so is
music.

	Phewww! Always feel so much better after a rave...........
	Cheers,
		Katya

(Thanks Ariusz, ;)