Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Could HOL/9thW be the greatest album ever???

From: ttuerff@primenet.com (Tom Tuerff)
Date: 13 Aug 1997 10:01:00 -0700
Subject: Re: Could HOL/9thW be the greatest album ever???
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <5sdlg4$9s$1@newsd-2.alma.webtv.net>, blyoung2@webtv.net (Bill
Young Jr.) wrote:

> I recently played the whole Hounds of Love album and then listened to
> the others by KT. The Dreaming and before sounded like a younger, more
> inexperienced Kate (which she was...not to mention she had less
> production/recording freedom). After HOL all we have is TSW and TRS.
> Both are excellent albums, but I feel have a track or two that could be
> omitted. HOL does not have such a track (IMHO). All 12 songs are
> masterpieces.....perfect 10's.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Hounds is Kate's Ultimate Masterwork. It
will never get any better until she has some sort of epiphany or
something.

>And they are placed in perfect order.
> What an opener! What a closer (to both HOL and T9thW)! I have many, many
> albums in my collection, but I've never heard one that didn't need
> something altered or cut out--except HOL. On and on I go.....perhaps
> it's cos I bought it in early '86 at the age of 12 (my first Kate album
> and it's been in my top 3 faves ever since). I doubt it's because
> Alternative Press ranked it #44 in its Top 99 albums of '85-95---it
> should've been #1!!!  :)

I'm a bit older than you, and so I think I've got slightly broader tastes.
"Hounds" is far from the best album ever made, but I'd put it in my top
ten.

The Beatles' "Revolver", Dylan's "Highway 61," and Richard Thompson's
first and last albums with his ex-wife, Linda ("I Want to See the Bright
Lights Tonight" and "Shoot Out The Lights"), as well as Thompson's solo
album "Hand of Kindness" all rank a little higher in my personal
preference book. But then, hey, I'm a guitar player.

And as far as "themed" albums go, Sergeant Pepper was the first, the best,
and the inspiration for every "theme" album to come down the pike after
that. Including The Who's "Tommy" and of course, HOL/9th.

My favorite Kate song of recent vintage is "Big Stripey Lie" because the
thought of Kate strappin' on a Strat and wankin' away like she does just
makes me horny.

> And for those interested in my #2 of all time......"Achtung Baby" by U2.

I am definitely older than you. I have NEVER seen the appeal in U2. Maybe
it's 'cause I'm not religious.

> Just my opinion, of course.

And a good one it is! As is mine, and those of everyone reading this group!

TT