Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Shakespeare

From: skipperway@aol.com (Skipperway)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 11:00:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Shakespeare
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I disagree with the quote from Winterson.  Though it's true that
Shakespeare's range was so broad that you can find support for almost any
viewpoint (i.e. advocate of Jews as humans - not a popular belief at the
time) the general sensibility of his writing comes from an hierarchical,
white, imperialist, male world and I think it informs his writing - no
matter how often he is able to transcend it.

" Shakespeare is the best example of a writer about whom we know almost
nothing and yet whose voice is so
distinctive that if we met him on the street we are sure we should
recognise him at once."

Considering the amount of scholarly disagreement about Shakespeare's
voice, I would have to disagree with this.  We cannot agree on what plays
were written by Shakespeare, or if he even wrote them himself.  I'd be
impressed by anyone writing fluidly in iambic pentameter, but I couldn't
say with authority, "Ah, that's Shakespeare!"  And I think people who
believe they can are kidding themselves.

-Shelley