Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ERIC CLAPTON, KATE, ART & EXPLOITATION

From: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:35:45 -0700
Subject: Re: ERIC CLAPTON, KATE, ART & EXPLOITATION
To: sudanews@pasteur.dialix.com.au
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com, ANGLTRED@aol.com

At 6:00 PM -0700 8-10-97, Unjay wrote:
>Samantha, I've got to thank you for taking this on. When I read the post
>below I wanted to respond immediately, but I was too angry...If anyone had
>ever read an interview with EC, or seen him speak, they would have to
>know he is a straight down the line person. I have the highest respect for
>him.

Eric Clapton? Didn't he sleep with the wife of one of his best friends
(George Harrison)? Isn't that what Layla's about? Isn't this guy a multiple
time drug addict?

That's straight down the line? You have respect for him as a person?

He was a great guitarist with some real imagination, but those days are
long gone.

<snip>

>>To give Eric Clapton the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure he did not release
>>the song with the single-minded intention of making a few extra dollars.
>
>In actual fact I think the song was  written for a soundtrack before
>Connor's accident even happened. It's unlikely someone whose son had just
>died would be thinking up ways to take advantage of the situation. Get real.

If the song was written before the fall, then he most certainly was
exploiting the tragedy.

>>... you have obviously not experienced
>much suffering (or you stuff it and deny the pain) and while you may be
>ignorantly blissful for it, it's probably also the reason you are so shallow.
>
>Well said Angeltred. It takes sufferring to cause knowledge to integrate
>with heart and bring a fuller ...well, "Love and deeper understanding"...as
>usual, KaTe's been here before...

Uh-huh.

- Don