Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Biz

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 19:47:50 -0500
Subject: The Biz
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

John Walker writes:

>Len - Thanks for posting the summary of the Musician article.  That's a
>real eye opener, huh?

Well, it gets some stats into the discussion.  One can't say how
accurate they are, but they are probably in the ballpark.  It's a
hard way to make a living and it takes a lot to *Make It*.  OTH,
some folks write a few songs, slam a band together and get signed
to label deals three months into their careers.  A lot has to do
with luck and location.  For example, opening in New York City is a
lot more conducive than Plano, Tex.  One needs to be where the industry
is.  OTOOH, bliss only needs a dancer and a drummer.  We get what
we are willing to work for.  Sometimes the best rewards are so
inexpensive.

>On the indie vs. major thing: it depends on what you're trying to do, and
>how much control you're willing to relinquish, and how interested the
>labels are, as far as what's best for a given band or artist.

Yep.  Interestingly, for the majority of cases, the majors and the
indies agree on one point:  No Tour == No Career.  Kate is rather
lucky to do what she did when she did.  Would she make it now?
Maybe.  The talent shining out of those eyes is irrefutable.  But,
it would be a long shot.  There is a lot more competition now even
in the GoddessBiz (say, devadasis?).

BTW:  hats off to the ladies on the Lilith Fair Tour for refusing to
play in the Texas auditorium that refused to let Planned ParentHood
setup a booth.  Good!  Stand up for rights which are yours by God.
Your body: Your decision.  Kick the butt of anyone that can't get
that through their power mad noodles.

More fun topics....

It seems we have lots of musicians here.  Where are the dancers?
I seldom see here or anywhere a good analysis of Kate's dancing
style, background (sans Kemp) etc.  It looks to me as if someone
has trained her in BharataNatyam (sp?).  Many of the hand gestures
appear to be hasta mudras (sp? i apologize.  trying to remember
how to spell these terms without notes is out of scope).  As I
listen to the Sensual World, for example, there seems to be more
of music from India there than elsewhere.  The intricate rhythms
for example and the tonality of the melodies are oriental.  Yes,
I know about the influence of the Trio.  The more I read about
the disciplines, history, and practices of Indian classical
dance, the more I am reminded of Kate particularly in the
practices of abhinaya.

Hoping that her next album is happy.  Forgive me, but I tire of
the darkness out there and yearn for polyphony and joy.

Even the Cowsills made one smile.

len