Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Art & Work (Was : LEAVE HER ALONE!)

From: dlashley70@aol.com (DLashley70)
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 15:28:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Art & Work (Was : LEAVE HER ALONE!)
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <l03020911b00459a1aaa6@[169.132.209.56]>, fastslow@idt.net
(Dongerous!) writes:

I've just pulled out some interesting comments here (so everyone will know
what I am responding to )

>>I think your continuous remarks on her being "lazy and not interested in
>>her career" do not have any foundation.
>
>Really? You find her to be hard working and VERY interested in her
career?
>Interesting.
>
>> First some general points : music is a form of ART.
>
>You mean like Celine Dion or the Spice Girls?
>
>> A genuine artist does not have a job.
>
>I guess Kate Bush isn't a "genuine artist." She has a job...she makes
>records for a living.
>
>>In the ideal situation the artist should produce by inspiration, not by
>>demand.
>

>> I'm sure she would have been burnt out very quickly,
>> like so many before and after her.
>
>Doubtful. I don't think a strong work ethic burns people out.

As a working artist, I have to agree Don.  Inspiration is lovely and I am
thankful when it comes, but writing (music or poetry or plays or whatever)
is a SKILL.  YES, it takes some innate TALENT that we have not been able
to describe the source of, but it is basically a SKILL.  Now, I  do not
claim to now Ms. Bush's work habits or work ethics.  But, if she is not
writing SOMETHING (or revising) everyday, she needs to get on the ball!
Even if it's something that will end up as a B-side or something she only
preforms at partys or something that is trashed at the end, she and I and
every other working writer needs to write EVERY DAY.  It doesn't matter
what the final outcome is, it is the ACT and the PRACTICE of writing that
is important.  Prehaps she does do this and is just HIGHLY critical of her
own work and then throws out everyting she preceives as crap (or stuff
that she no longer has the interest to hone) if so, great (but sad for me)
if not.......

That's my two cents on how she should run her life.