Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: age poll

From: kbmoore@ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu (Kira Moore)
Date: 29 Jul 1997 05:08:10 GMT
Subject: Re: age poll
To: rec-music-gaffa@ncren.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

To make a short story long...

I am 29 (as of 22 July) and was first introduced to Kate's music (second
hand) through Pat Benatar's cover of WH in... '81?

	then in '83 through a couple of my father's friends, Suzy and
David Zimian (anyone know them? they were also singers... kinda folky
filky rock stuff) who listened to a tape of me singing original songs, at
age 15, multitracked with lots of echo, mostly about suicide *blushes* ah
well, I was a teenager... and they told me it reminded them of some of
Kate's earlier stuff - this is way before the bootleg demos were widely
available and that's the only Kate stuff it remotely sounded like...

	anyway my mother took me to Pennylane Records in KC when I got
home from visiting my dad in LA, and I hesitantly asked the guy in the
store whether he had anything by an "obscure English singer called Kate
Bush". He said he'd not only heard of her, and had some of her records,
but that she was his favorite recording artist. He said his personal
favorite record of hers was NFE, but he didn't have it in stock, so I got
the EP with "Sat in Your Lap," "Suspended in Gaffa," "Babooshka," and "Un
Baiser d'Enfant".   I fell madly in love with "Suspended in Gaffa" and
was hooked.

Next I got TKI and fell in love some more.  then the other 3 albums of
hers that were out at the time... which I loved.. then I got my 2 "weird
sisters" whom I met in high school the following year, hooked on Kate,
and we all rejoiced together when HOL came out... I still have the
beautiful marbled vinyl album, tho I don't play it  :(  - the turntable
is at my aunt's house, with my albums - it was part of "simplifying my
life" or something, but I do miss my vinyl LPs...

	Kira
	who has TRS and The Dreaming on cd, but needs to get the others...
otherwise I'm just going to wear out these tapes I made.

kbmoore@indiana.edu