Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate & Prince

From: RheaGaia@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:29:48 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Kate & Prince
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

<< > On the 23rd of March 1995, TAFKAP played an aftershow gig at the
Emporium
<< > club in London. Kate was there & by a complete stroke of luck, so was I.

<< > He also thanks her in the sleevenotes to " The Gold Experience " album,
<< > although as far as i know she doesn,t appear on it. We had to wait until

<< > " Emancipation " for her vocals. I think from this we can assume they
<< > have actually met, so maybe their working relationship is closer than we

<< > thought, it's lasted at least 3 years.

<<From what I have heard of working closely with O{+>, I credited
<< their (KT & O{+>) 'long' (in O{+> terms) working relationship to the
<< possiblity that they had done all their collaborating via long
<< distance...  (KT sends a tape, O{+> sends it back with his changes..
<< and so on)

Actually, while it is true, that some of Kate and Prince's collaborations
(e.g., "Why Should I Love You") were done via quite a long-distance, on at
least a couple of occasions, Kate travelled to Prince's Paisley Park Studios
(which lie just south of Minneapolis, Minnesota) where the two of them have
collaborated on quite a few tracks.  My friend, Starr, worked at the studios
as one of Prince's dancers, and she knew how much I love Kate.  Several years
ago, the summer of 1991 I think it was--but it could have been 1992, she came
home from work one day bustin' her britches with the news that she had seen
Kate there in the studios with Prince.

Evidently, there currently exist approximately 11-12 tracks on which they
have collaborated;  however, these tracks are locked up in Paisley Park's
vaults and at this point, it unfortunately looks as if we have no access to
these tracks, until (and only IF) Kate and Prince so choose.

There is also (I can't recall where) a photograph of Kate and Prince sitting
on some steps outside of a party that's taking place...so we have pictorial
evidence that they know each other "in person."  I can't recall where I saw
this photograph. Perhaps someone else can remind me.  I don't seem to have it
in any of my books on Kate.

<<It made me think, what if at some point, a Kate tribute album was
<<produced, full of hoary old rockers like Rod Stewart singing Sat in Your
<<Lap, or  Phil Collins doing Hammer Horror.  I think this has the
<<definite makings of another list!!!  What do other lovehounds think?!
<<Let's be having your tracks/artists lists.

What about:

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - "Passing Through Air"
Steppenwolf - "Running Up That Hill"
Steve Miller - "Eat the Music"
Led Zeppelin - "Mother Stands for Comfort"
Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits - "Jig of Life"
Aerosmith - "James and the Cold Gun" and "Get Out of My House"

Oh my.  That's actually kind of scary.  But it would be fun, eh?  :-)

By the way, I'm a new Love-Hound, so I thought I'd say "hi" to you all!  I
hope I'll be around for a while.

~~~Rhea