Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Musicianship

From: Leigh.Perkins@sset.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:14:04 -0700
Subject: Re: New Musicianship
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

     Perhaps I should attempt to make it clearer, when I refer to
     Pre-Collins, I refer to the point at which he started singing for the
     band.

     For reference, can anyone see below where I'm critisising the Sputniks
     competance as musicians - I just missed them of my all time favourite
     top ten!

Author:  love-hounds@gryphon.com at INTERNET
Date:    7/29/97 8:21 AM

At 9:58 AM -0700 7-29-97, Leigh.Perkins@sset.com wrote:
>     Hi List
>
>     Just been reading all your notes about how great music used to be, and
>     apparently how crap and depressing it has all become.
>
>     About 5 years ago I got involved with a London based band called
>     Moondigger (I know you've never heard of them).  I guess some of the
>     chops and licks leant some of their attitude towards artists like
>     Franc Dunnery, Alan Holdsworth, Pre Collins Genesis

Pre-Collins Genesis? Shoot, he was with the band since "Nursery Cryme."
What made "Trespass" and "Revelation" all that superior?

<snip>

>     At the same time Kate was producing the miracle that is HOL, Sigue
>     Sigue Sputnik were releasing their efforts to the world.  There will
>     always be good and bad.  It's up to you and you're tastes to decide
>     which you think is which.

Hey! Hey! Hey! What's wrong with Sigue Sigue Sputnik. They were supposed to
be a fun band and they succeeded tremendously. Not every band has to be
"serious" or have "good chops."

Plus, they were absolutely amazing live. It was a hilarious multi-media
extravaganza.

Find another band to pick on.

<snip>

- Don