Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lilith Fair (was Re: I love this place)

From: peter <pietr@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 14:31:32 -0800
Subject: Re: Lilith Fair (was Re: I love this place)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Renee Rosen<lilitu@cjnetworks.com> wrote:

> I think the Lilith Fair is much more popular than you realize. I
> mean, it even got on the cover of Time magazine (an issue I missed
> unfortunately--I need to find a copy of it). It's also been one of
> the more successful tours finacially.

Thanks for the "Lilith" work and speaking out with tour opinion on such
shows as these. More positive messages about humanity in General are
needed with all types of fundamentalists ( oops...forgot about the
ongoing underground movement to eradicate all "ists" and "isms" from
spoken dialect)

I would have to say on the topic of the Lilith Fair and popularity;
BE CAREFUL of the source of that "popularity".

Don't get me wrong here, I love the concept, and respect the hard work
of all the artists. (You might remember I posted a lengthy review after
the second Lilith Fair show.)

The media who owns these publications are often the same companies who
run the record labels and promote the tours with advertising.

Let's take the example of EMI records. EMI is owned/operated by
Universal Group.(studios, etc), who in turn is owned/operated by
Seagram's, a multinational Liquor and Beverage Co.
And I'm sure Time-Warner who publishes TIME magazine must own a few
labels, huh?

Basically they want people to consume not ony mass quantities of whiskey
and ginger ale, but also the current musical "flavor of the month". And
if they can get ya doin' both at the same time, all the better.

Unfortunately this is how all "major labels" are now and the amount of
energy to keep up with it is tiresome. But as always, "knowledge is just
a tool, its up to us to use it"

PS there is an interesting perspective of Lilith Fair at:
http://www.addict.com/MNOTW/lofi/970725/970725_759.shtml

Peter