Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Castaway

From: Karen Newcombe <kln@staralliance.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:56:40 -0700
Subject: Castaway
To: "love-hounds@gryphon.com" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

>According to the Gaffaweb Dictionary at
>http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/diction/  "Castaway" is a 1987 film directed
>by Nicholas Roeg, starring Oliver Reed and Amanda Donohoe.  It's based upon
>the autobiographical book "Castaway" by Lucy Irvine, in which a middle-aged
>man places an advertisement in a London paper for a woman (Irvine herself)
>to spend a year with him on a desert island.

As someone pointed out last year, Lucy Irvine grew up on the island where
"The Wicker Man" was filmed, starring Lindsay Kemp!

>Be warned that even the person who wrote that Dictionary entry has never
>seen the film although he did own the soundtrack album; the film was never
>properly released in the United States, and to my knowledge had *one*
>screening in a theatre in New York City.  This is moderately surprising
>because the original book actually did fairly well over here!  I'm not
>aware of a US video release, but given Roeg's cult popularity it's much
>more likely that the film will turn up on cable television on some
>arts-oriented channel.

"Castaway" is easily available on video in the U.S.  I rented it at the
corner video store and have seen it at several others around town.  I
lucked into a vinyl copy of the soundtrack a few years ago, and also could
swear I saw a CD version around the record bins in perhaps '91/'92 or
thereabouts.  Never bought one for which I kick myself.

Karen  kln@staralliance.com