Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Under the Ivy and Cloudbusting

From: skipperway@aol.com (Skipperway)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 23:37:05 -0400
Subject: Under the Ivy and Cloudbusting
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

      These songs always remind me of each other.  The contrast between
the safety of childhood and the threat of the adult world.  Both have
gardens as safe-havens (for yo-yo's or little girls) and both are
threatened in some way by the adult world.  Clearly in "Cloudbusting" by
the government, less clearly in "Under the Ivy".  She does say,
"It's not easy for me to give away your secret, it's not safe."  The
threat is less clear.  Perhaps bringing a new person, an adult, to her
childhood haunt?

-Shelley
p.s.  I'm new here.  Hi!