Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TEY-land -1-

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:10:59 -0100
Subject: TEY-land -1-
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

=================================
1. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME FOR A COPY.
===============================
2. *** SAFE THIS FILE !!! ***
===============================
3. KATE BUSH IS GOD
===============================

"The Early Years"
==================
as of July 1997

1. History:
===========
The following two HG excerpts had been the only known facts about this
recording for more then 10 years.

from HG 23 (Summer 1986), p. 2:
" -Early Years- Bootleg stopped in its tracks"
Someone, somehow has got hold of one of Kate's early (circa 1973) demo tapes,
which appears to have contained not only a number of Kate's early songs, but
embryonic versions of more well-known tracks. A West German company appeared
to believe that it had bought the 'rights' to this tape and was set to
issue an album
entitled:"Kate Bush: The Early Years". EMI-Electrola in Germany were aware
of this,
but some reason took no action to prevent the release. The album was in fact
pressed and white labels send out in an attempt to secure overseas
distribution deals.
At this point Kate became aware of the proposed release, and feeling that
her early
mistakes are not fit for public consumption, took the appropriate legal
action. The
stockpiled albums will now be destroyed (sorry, we don't know how to get
hold of
one!).

from HG 29 (Xmas 1987), p. 6:
"Kate Bush - The Early Years - West Germany - 1986"
Ah yes, the almost semi-mythical disc. HG can assure yout that it is/was
quite
real. It was a single album containing ten songs recorded by Kate in her
early
Gilmour days in 1973. We have a tracklisting for eight [ten] of the songs
as follows:

1. Something Like a Song.
2. Need Your Loving.
3. Davy (or Davey).
4. You Were the Star.
5. Gay Farewell.
6. Cussi Cussi.
7. Atlantis.
8. Sunsi.
9. Disbelieving Angel.
10. Go Now While You Can.
No, we don't have a copy of the disc.

In early 1997 "someone, somehow has got hold of" another copy of this
recording
and made it available to some fans. Unfortunately all information of this
author is
only third hand.
This study is concerned with a copy of a tape, which is a copy of a CD.
This CD is
a copy of a tape of unknown origin, possibly the original tape.

2. The tape-listing:
====================

1. Something Like A Song             (different demo version)
2. Passing Through Air               (new demo version)
3. Humming (early version of "Maybe") *** NEW in Parts ***
4. You Were the Star                  *** NEW DEMO ***
5. The Gay Farewell                  (different demo version)
6. Cussi, Cussi                       *** NEW DEMO ***
7. Atlantis                           *** NEW DEMO ***
8. Sunsi                              *** NEW DEMO ***
[the other two songs metioned above, 9 and 10 are missing]

Length: 22 min.

3. General Notes about the songs
====================================

- All songs are piano only.

- The songs are very possibly from 1973 ("The First Recordings"). Maybe
this is
one of the tapes Ricky Hopper presented (without success) to record
companies.
These demos are therefore older than the known ones. We can distinguish now
1973-demos and 1976-demos.

- The recording does not sound like a record-copy. There are no typical
crackling
sounds, there's only a "white noise", even though it's quite strong. But
this is maybe
only because it's the n-th copy.

- There are no gaps (with Kate pressing buttons) between the songs. This
means
either that there has been done some editing or Kate is playing all songs
in a row.

- There's a little gap in "Cussi, Cussi", ca. 10 sec. complete silence.

- At the end ("Sunsi") the copy quality goes from bad to worse. Maybe
there's a
loose contact in a cable. Then it breaks off with a turn-off sound. Sounds
like a
complete breakdown of the tape or the machine.

4. The music
==============

1. "Something Like a Song" (1973-demo version)

The whole song is twice on the tape, like the song is repeated. If this has
been
done by Kate or the CD-editor is unknown.
Unfortunately, the difficult line: "Rest and sing: Lover oooooooh..."  is
even worse
to hear. I think at least in this demo it's something else. "Rest" is
correct, but after
that ... ??... It sounds like "Rest ever..." or so.
It is interesting to hear the 1976-version in comparison. She generally
sings more
pronounced. In the part "I've called him by every name I know..." she sings
the
"But he won't answer me" aggressive in the 1976-version, but resigned in the
1973-version.
The only difference in the lyrics (besides the uncertainty with "Rest...")
is the
line:    "I've called him by every name I know, (by) Every name I know..."
The "by" in brackets is only in the 1976-version.

2. "Passing Through Air" (demo version)

To classify the demos, the demo version of "Passing Through Air" is
informative.
This song has been recorded with band in autumn 1973 (B-side of "Army
Dreamers"). So the TEY demo songs must be earlier. She was 14-15 years old.
This song is incredibly beautiful.

3. "Humming/Davy" (demo version of "Maybe")

This song is also very interesting. "Humming" is actually the second part of
"Maybe". "Maybe" is only known to us by a 50 sec. fragment played by Kate
on a
Radio broadcast in 1979. It ends with "you're so.. like a st.." "Humming"
goes on
here with two more lines. One can edit "Humming" into "Maybe". It seems
that Kate
first invented the second part of the song ("embryonic version") and then
added
something at the beginning later. She also changed "Oh Davy" in "So maybe".
This
explains the uncertainty in the song titles. (Btw, who is this "Davy"
person? See also
"While Davy Dozed".)

4. You Were The Star
=======================

Completely new demo song. Some words are quite difficult to hear.

5. The Gay Farewell
======================

Only difference:
1973: "Such a little princess."
1976: "You're just a little princess."
And it's: "But listen to your tired old story."   - "your" not "the" in
both versions.

6. Cussi, Cussi
===============

Completely new demo song.
Mystery. What's this about? Unfortunately there's a gap of 10 sec. at the
beginning.    "It gets us really stoned, really amazingly ..."

7. Atlantis
===========

Completely new demo song.
Some lines are extremely difficult to get. Melancholic, very beautiful
song. My
favourite. S R I

8. Sunsi/Sensi
================

Completely new demo song.
Again I'm not sure with all words.
Mystery. Maybe "Sunsi" is actually "Sensi"? With "Sensi" = short for
"Sensimilia"
(= Cannabis)?

Okay, that's it.
To the lucky ones, who already have found a copy: I am very interested in
discussing/correcting the new lyrics. Come out and let's talk about this
truly holy
thing.

Oh, and btw:
It is now universally acknowledged that the only thing in life worth
wasting any
thought on at all is Kate Bush. Everything else is just killing time.
There is no question whatever of the truth of this judgement, which is
unanimous, absolute and irrevocable.

Best wishes
    Wieland

"<Something completely indecipherable>"