Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Maxwell on KTB/"This Woman's Work"

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:40:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Maxwell on KTB/"This Woman's Work"
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Llovich@aol.com wrote:

>Maxwell agreed to do the "MTV Unplugged" session as a chance to re-arrange
>some of the "Urban Hang Suite" songs -- particularly a hot jam on "Gotta Get
>Closer" -- and to cover "This Woman's Work," a song by British songstress
>Kate Bush.
>
>"I was trying to put together a song that represented my understanding, in
>some way, of what women represent and what they go through," explains
>Maxwell, who has received praise for his rendition from Bush.
>
>"I think that's what 'This Woman's Work' represented. I couldn't have written
>a song like that because I'm not a woman, and an exceptional woman wrote it
>already. I just kind of took it."
>___________________________________
>Quick questions on the above:
>
>1. When did Kate praise his rendition?
>
>2. Although it's kind that he called Kate "an exceptional woman," couldn't he
>have said "an exceptional songwriter" or performer or something?

I watched the MTV broadcast, and two thoughts immediately came to mind.

One: I really, really, really dislike this guy.  I've rarely disliked a
singer so much on one exposure, but Maxwell is truly something special.  If
that's the word.  It's nice that he likes Kate and all, but that doesn't
make me like him.

Two: Kate will inevitably say something nice about this overly mannered,
affected, self-conscious performance because, well, that's what she does.
Polite to a fault, if you ask me.

So apparently, judging from the above quote, my expectations have already
been fulfilled.  Now if someone could just give back the unpleasant moments
I spent listening to Maxwell, give them back to me...

RAB
(Oh, it's hard on the fan...)

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/