Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What We Listen To

From: "Ronald W. Garrison" <rwgarr@intrex.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:06:13 -0400
Subject: Re: What We Listen To
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
To: cbullard@hiwaay.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

len bullard wrote:

> I guess after one listens to enough pop and rock, it
> all gets repetitive, so in the "Bang Your Head Against
> The Glass" threads, I am only glad I am the age I am.
> A great ride so far.  The seventies had good music, the
> eighties had machines, and so far the nineties have
> mostly had retreads.  The rockTrain is out of steam.
>
> When looking around for "tis new to me" things to listen
> to, I've been exploiting the RealAudio plugin and checking
> out the All India radio network.  Even at 14.4, there are
> some fantastic pieces there for those who know about
> bhajans and ghazals, etc.  One lady, Alisha (sp?) is
> rather Kate-like in her soprano, use of polyrhythmic
> arrangements, and yes, the 22-tone scale.  Cool stuff
> for you musician/composers out there.  The work of the
> Singhs (chita and ?) is also very intriguing.  There is
> much to be learned there.
>
> Folks like to carp and wince, but most haven't
> even escaped their radios and tellys yet, so, hey, it is
> relative to cause and connections, ain't it?
>
> Ya gotta give Kate credit; she's always trying to bust
> the mold.  That takes a lot research and experimenting.
>
> BTW, if any of you are going to Siggraph, check out the
> IrishSpace demo.  Some of the list members will be there
> demoing it.  Get them to play the Leaving Earth scene
> if you want to see what we did with Mna h'Eireann.
>
> len

=====Your note touches on something I've been giving a good deal of
thought to lately--bitcasting. So far, I haven't been in a good position
to cat on it much: Trouble is, the vast majority of sites blow you right
off (and understandably) if you only have a 14.4 modem. And even with a
56K--or even with ISDN--you still don't get terrific sound. But it's
probably at least as good as shortwave, maybe even AM. So I'd really
like to tap into it with a 56K modem, and expect to just as soon as
finances loosen just a tiny bit.

My Web site (below) has several artists mentioned--only about half a
dozen, but I get real emjoyment still out of them. There have to be a
lot more around, though, to add to that set. I just haven't had time to
check them out.

 --Ron Garrison

--
http://www.intrex.net/rwgarr/