Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

What We Listen To

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 18:34:11 -0500
Subject: What We Listen To
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

I guess after one listens to enough pop and rock, it
all gets repetitive, so in the "Bang Your Head Against
The Glass" threads, I am only glad I am the age I am.
A great ride so far.  The seventies had good music, the
eighties had machines, and so far the nineties have
mostly had retreads.  The rockTrain is out of steam.

When looking around for "tis new to me" things to listen
to, I've been exploiting the RealAudio plugin and checking
out the All India radio network.  Even at 14.4, there are
some fantastic pieces there for those who know about
bhajans and ghazals, etc.  One lady, Alisha (sp?) is
rather Kate-like in her soprano, use of polyrhythmic
arrangements, and yes, the 22-tone scale.  Cool stuff
for you musician/composers out there.  The work of the
Singhs (chita and ?) is also very intriguing.  There is
much to be learned there.

Folks like to carp and wince, but most haven't
even escaped their radios and tellys yet, so, hey, it is
relative to cause and connections, ain't it?

Ya gotta give Kate credit; she's always trying to bust
the mold.  That takes a lot research and experimenting.

BTW, if any of you are going to Siggraph, check out the
IrishSpace demo.  Some of the list members will be there
demoing it.  Get them to play the Leaving Earth scene
if you want to see what we did with Mna h'Eireann.

len