Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Black Spitfire [was Re: hey........]

From: nevilley@globalnet.co.ukx (Neville Young)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 21:55:35 GMT
Subject: Re: Black Spitfire [was Re: hey........]
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hello Andy!

I am ashamed to admit that I am (just) old enough to have seen Churchill's
funeral on telly. I am 99.9% sure that there was an aircraft flypast, so a
Spit would, as you say, have been reasonable. Dunno about the black but I
agree it's a nice touch, whether it originated in the funeral or the song.

Should we take the barge bit to uk.rec.waterways??? :)

Nev

andy@gid.co.uk (Andy Greener) wrote:

>Leigh.Perkins@sset.com wrote:
>>

>>      Another deep traditional English line from Lionheart "I fall from my
>>      black Spitfire to my funeral barge".  Trip to the Isle of Avalon
>>      anyone?????
>
>This line always makes me think of Winston Churchill's funeral barge on
>the Thames. Did a Spitfire figure in the funeral proceedings? Wouldn't
>surprise me if it did, given the wartime connections ("Never has so
>much been owed...."). A *Black* Spitfire would have been very symbolic.
>
>	Andy Greener, Reading, UK

Neville Young
nevilley at globalnet.co.uk
To reply, remove last 'x' from email address.