Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Another artist to consider...

From: "Xenu's Sister" <vickie@miso.wwa.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 22:54:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Another artist to consider...
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 12:21 PM 7/11/97 -0400, hedgefield@aol.com wrote:
>I just purchased an album by Natacha Atlas called Diaspora. This lady is
>Middle-Eastern and her album contains some fantastic and groovy stuff.
>Check it out if you get a chance. (No she does'nt sound like Kate, but

Thanks for this tip. I love Middle Eastern and Aisian artists
who push the envelope, so it sounds as if I'll like this.

>then WHO really does?)

Happy Rhodes! I just love the fact that she's turning up
on so many people's list. To be specific about sounding
like Kate, Happy's very high voice does. She has an amazing
range, from waaay low to medium, medium-high and very
high. Only her very high voice sounds like Kate, but it's a
voice she uses quite often, especially on her earlier work.
The voice really isn't a surprise once you know that Happy,
a huge Kate fan to this day, learned how to sing by singing
along with "The Kick Inside" over and over again. Still, it's
just sweet coincidence that Happy had the vocal cords
that could match Kate's high voice.

I highly recommend Happy Rhodes, not as a 'replacement'
for Kate (Kate is GOD!) but as someone who belongs in
the same (intelligent, interesting, innovative female artist)
"sphere" as Kate, Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Jane Siberry,
Enya, Sinead, Milla and many others. She's not well-known
(which is why I'm pleased to see her pop up on these lists)
because she's on a tiny Indie label and has no money
whatsoever for promotion and touring. She's almost exclusively
a word-of-mouth artist, and has been plugging away for
years, releasing 9 albums since 1986. She's working on her
10th, which should be released in (hopefully) a couple of
months.

Vickie (I don't work for Happy Rhodes, I just play a fan on the net)

"My ears are lucky to hear these glorious songs..." HTR