Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mythra...

From: "Shafer, Johanna" <JSHAFER@ACADEMIC.TRUMAN.EDU>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 11:33:56 CDT
Subject: Re: Mythra...
To: <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Hello all.  Just a point I'd like to clarify.  I think the post on the
origin of December 25th is incorrect.  I don't know of any goddess
Mythra.  Rather, there is a Persian god Mithras, a sun god, who was
adopted by the Romans during the empire.  The Romans also had a
festival, known as the Saturnalia (in honor of the god Saturn).  This
festival began about December 17 and lasted a week to 10 days.  During
it, gifts were exchanged and masters switched places with their
servants.  This also has some bearing on the adoption of December 25 as
Christ's "birthday."

Any other classicists on the list?  Someone referred to a Greek chiton
so I know there must be at least one other!@!

Johanna