Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Flea In Her Ear?

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@mednet.ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 06:23:48 -0700
Subject: A Flea In Her Ear?
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Vampyre wrote:

> Babooshka has always been one of my favorite Kate songs...I even managed to
> have it be the first song played during intermission while our stage group
> was performing Guy de Maupassant's "A Flea in Her Ear"....
>
> vampyre@tarheel.net

Wow...is it possible Kate was inspired by "A Flea In Her Ear?"
for Babooshka? We know that she's taken inspiration from movies
before, so why not a play?

It all fits -- from the "pseudonym to fool him" and the "scented
letters" to "arranging a place to go."

My favorite line in the play comes when Mme Chandebise, who
wants to see if her husband "will fall for her incognito" rents
a seedy hotel room to catch him:

Mme Chandebise: Oh, we won't be needing the bed.

Hotel clerk: Pervert.

Excuse my paraphrasing (and spelling),

Robb