Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Under The Ivy

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@mednet.ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:44:24 -0700
Subject: Re: Under The Ivy
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Michael Doerr wrote:

> Dongerous! wrote:
> >
> > At 2:09 AM -0700 7-8-97, Rolf Peukert quoted KB:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > >K: <laughs> something to do with ivy I suppose
> >
> > That's funny. I don't get much out of the song either.
>
> Hmm, this song is quite important to me .. maybe a matter of
> interpreting more into than it is ...

Don't let the interview throw your devotion to this song. Kate
is often demurely obstinate when speaking about particular
songs. I suspect that, as beautiful and poignant as this song
is, that it's actually one of her "pets."

Someone else wrote that they thought this song was sexual in
nature. I've always thought so too. The directive to "go under
the ivy etc." seems almost to be a non-sequitur from the
tormented lyrics...as if she's simply indulging in an escape.

Robb