Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Babooshka Hated?!?

From: "Alan Chamberlin" <xxxxabckid@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 9 Jul 1997 23:52:52 GMT
Subject: Re: Babooshka Hated?!?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Chris Williams <chrisw@wwa.com> wrote in article
<2.2.32.19970709021743.006c8548@wingate>...
> Alan Chamberlin writes:
>
> > Babooshka a "hated" song!?  Perish the thought.  It's one of the songs
> > (heard over the store sound system) that convinced me to buy my first
Kate
> > album.
>
> > To this day definitely part of my top ten Kate songs.  Love the video
too.
> > And the poster.  Love the outfit. Make that both outfits.
>
>    "Both"...son, you need a copy of the Love-hounds Collection. You
*must*
> see the "Dr. Hook" version of Babooshka for the "bi-polar Kate" (and
> no Fairlight glass smashes.
>
> > Kate in chain mail with a sword.  Kate in leotards with a bass violin.
> > Sigh!!!!!
>
>     There are actually quite a few different versions. I'd count them,
but I'm
> writing this on a train.
>
>     When I get home, I'll be making some master tapes, and a new round
> of dubbing will commence. Two people have volunteered to do dubs.
> Details will be announced soon. Is someone willing to volunteer to
> coordinate? I travel too much to keep up. All it takes is a little time
> and e-mail.
>
> Chris Williams of
>    Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
>       chrisw@wwa.com
> "How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb

Chris,

Thank you for reminding me of the Dr. Hook version.  I've seen it.  "I'm
sitting on the good side!" <g>

Yes, she is stunning there as well.

Great rendition of Delius comes out of that show as well.

--
Alan Chamberlin
----

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
Santayana