Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lilith Fair review (long..no KT content)

From: Peter F <pietr@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 11:46:34 -0800
Subject: Lilith Fair review (long..no KT content)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

I would like to start off by saying that I have the utmost respect for
the Lilith Fair and all of the artists working hard to put energy in
such a tremendous undertaking. The idea of the fair is something which
the time has come for and should continue and prosper. Also in all
fairness the tour is also on it's 3rd day. This is positive, in that
there is time to "iron out the wrinkles".

Now onto my experience last evening at the Lilith Fair concert at
Shoreline Ampitheater in Mountain View, CA. I will tryto be as objective
in my observations, but when I slip into my personal feelings about an
artist I will use the old IMHO as a marker.

The lineup for this show almost changes city by city, so here's most of
last nite:

MAIN STAGE:
Sarah MacLachlan
Tracy Chapman
Suzanne Vega
Jewel
Paula Cole

The side stage had six "smaller, local" acts incl. Cassandra Wilson

It was my wife's birthday, so I figured I would spend the $42 per ticket
and get good seats. We are big Suzanne Vega fans, as well as fans of
Sarah MacLachlan and Travcy Chapman. I have seen all three artists in
mostly venues of 200 people up to about 3,000.
Shoreline holds about 23,000. Ugh. I have Jewel's CD and have heard
Paula Cole's radio stuff. I consider myself somewhat knowledgable about
women in music. We have been  Kate Bush fans for 17 years and continue
to enjoy the likes of the Indigo Girls, Loreena McKennit, Shawn Colvin,
Catie Curtis, Kate Price, Joni Mitchell, Alanis, Jane Siberry, Sandy
Denny, Sleater-Kinney, PJ Harvey, Ani DiFranco, Emmylou Harris, Nancy
Griffith, enya, Connie Dover, Sharon Shannon, Natalie Merchant, The
Roches, Maddy Prior and many, many more.

Needless to say the evening didn't start well when we were waiting in
line outside at 6pm and heard Suzanne Vega playing. Wait a minute! How
could an artist who has put out 5 CD's over the last 10 years and sells
out venues like the Warfield in SF, be going on BEFORE the likes of
Jewel and Paula Cole. Each of them has 1 album and are current "flavor
of the months". Neither of them has proved themselves in this volatile
record industry. Let's see where THEY are in 10 years and 5 albums.
Today's artist have an average career of 3-5 years, 1 out of 2 or 3
"hit" records( if that.)

Let me backtrack a minute. The show was advertised and the tix were
printed wuth a 5pm start time. But actually the show began on the side
stages at 3:30. WHAT is that about? I missed a band or two I wanted to
see because of it. Also what about these up-n-coming bands who are
playing these dumpy side stages. Don't they deserve better. At least
have them play between acts while there are people in the venue, What
good is it to them, their music and careers if they are playing 1.5
hours before the show is advertised to start? I spent $85 and wanted to
see these bands, yet was not allowed the opportunity.

When you enter the venue there is also no schedule posted as to who is
on what stage at what time. And if you tried to get a schedule, all you
heard was "we ran out". Evidently they only printed 8,000 for a crowd of
20,000+. As I was in line for a soda, everyone around me had the same
complaint about not receiving a schedule. A little foresight and
planning would have made a big difference.

To briefly run through the acts on main stage

1)Suzanne Vega- Only had 30 minutes. Folks said she didn't seem
comfortable in front of the huge crowd. I know she did "Luka" and "Tom's
Diner" as we heard it from the line outside. AAAHHHHHHH!
(Again..why she was on first is baffling)

2)Paula Cole - IMHO- SCREECHY. Yelling. Jumping around alot and into
showing off her body. Average band. Definitley not much appealing about
this set. No encore

3) Jewel - IMHO -Jewel has a great voice and is a good songwriter. She
did a few solo acoustic numbers. Then brought out her band and grabbed
an electric guitar. Again an average band, not much jamming. A few quick
solo's. I would really need to see Jewel in a more initimate setting to
get a better perspective. No encore

4) Tracy Chapman - IMHO- By far the hilite of the evening. During first
song she played a didjeredoo. Her band was tight and they were PLAYERS!
Tracy's vocals were clean and sharp. An upbeat set. The only problem was
after playing 40 minutes, it seems she forgot she was scheduled for 50
and didn't have enough material rehearsed. So we got a couple of
"reprise" jams from songs already performed. A standing ovation and
encore ensued.

5) Sarah MacLachlan - IMHO - The biggest let down of them all for me,
because I expected more, with her new album coming out next week. She is
such a beautiful poet with a beautiful voice, but we could barely hear
it with the overbearing sounds of a babd that is
A) too big.
B) too loud
c) WAY too much effects. At many times between both guitarists,
keyboards and drums all were MIDIed leave only Sarah's voice and the
bass as "Natural sounds". It got vey "muddy with so much hitech effects
at once. Tone it down, let Sarah shine.
Many people were leaving in the middle of her set.
A moderate ovation and an encore.

Overall I was dissappointed and resigned myself to seeing these women in
smaller more intimate venues. Live and Learn.

GET IT TOGETHER...Lilith.

Peter