Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hey...wassailing

From: lvermeer@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Leslie Vermeer)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 08:05:29 -0600
Subject: Hey...wassailing
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

  >   Wassailing was the tradition of going out to the orchards and praying
  >   to the apple trees to provide good fruit (presumably to make some
  >   decent cider!!).  T.C. - you are right that it was a pagan customer,
  >   though it's more likely that it would be done in the spring or early
  >   summer (solstice).  I can't think how it got into Christmas Carols -
  >   perhaps they wassailed for thanks at the end ot the Autumn as well -
  >   can anyone else chip in??

This is very interesting, since my dictionary says: "1. An ancient
expression of good wishes on a festive occasion, esp. when drinking a
health. 2. The liquor used for a wassail; esp. a beverage of ale (or wine)
flavoured with spices, sugar, toast, roasted apples, etc. 3. A drinking
bout; carouse. 4. Dial. Eng. A drinking song." You can see how tradition
and defintion overlap. I'm sure KB intended all these nuances - and
probably many more...

Leslie