Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: that memory thing...

From: "Ronald W. Garrison" <rwgarr@intrex.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:08:41 -0400
Subject: Re: that memory thing...
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

seaweb@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I just wandered into your group this week, and I'm glad to see we're
> all still here, this world of people who can't forget Kate when she
> goes missing.
>
> I am 45.  Yes, way old.  And I first heard Kate after work one day in
> early 1978, the day the Capitol Records rep laid her album (on
> Harvest,
> it was) on my desk with all the others that week.  It wasn't anything
> Capitol was trying to push (dummies then, dummies now). I noted Dave
> Gilmour's name and the presence of much of the Alan Parsons Project,
> and I liked the cover.
>
> At home, I put it on and listened to it a couple of times, stunned as
> that whole wonderful, colorful, emotional program played through.  I
> thought I might have been hallucinating or something.  It was so
> unexpectedly beautiful.  I fell in love, with this kid piano player.
> She wrote the best love letters you could ever hope to read.  She sang
>
> like no one else.
>
> Kate's a phenomena, a comet, rare and bright.  And still, just a
> person, simple like all of us.  Sure, I'd part with a month's salary
> sit in a club, anywhere in the world, to hear her play in a trio,
> solo,
> whatever.  Sitting in an airport coffee shop to listen to her tap her
> fingernails on the tabletop across from me would be a wild thrill.
> But, she makes great records, and she doesn't want to tour.  C'est la
> vie.
>
> That rush from "Kick" up through "The Dreaming" was breathtaking, and
> like all truly fine things, she improves with age.  She's my favorite.
>
> I'll always be cheering for her, as she goes her own way.  Go, Kate!
>
> Steven

---Almost exactly my own feelings!
(OBTW would you believe I'm also a 45-year-old)
(Actually, I don't know if Kate's improving with age any more--in the
last 10 years. But I'll wait a little longer before making up my mind.
Or maybe it's time for a little career redirection. I think it'd be a
blast to see in a starring role in a full-length film. But that's
probably not her style.)

--Ron
http://www.intrex.net/rwgarr/