Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Summer Reading List

From: "Collinson, Wendy" <Wendy.Collinson@olsy.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:50:59 +0100
Subject: Summer Reading List
To: "'Love Hounds'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Return-Receipt-To: "Collinson, Wendy" <Wendy.Collinson@olsy.co.uk>

I'll throw my faves into the ring.  Have just read:

A Vicious Circle by Amanda Craig - biting satire about London literary
life, surprisingly sensitive and moving at the same time.  Terrific.

In the Cut by Susanna Moore - a novel noir/erotic thriller set in New
York.  Very disturbing at times, sets up a dark, ironic atmosphere.
This novel seems to be the only one of Moore's available in the UK - I'd
love to hear from anyone who has read any of her other novels.

The Riders by Tim Winton.  A harrowing journey for an all-at-sea
Australian and his young daughter when the wife goes missing.
Mysterious, lyrical and deeply satisfying.

Have just started reading the first of AS Byatt's proposed quartet of
novels, The Virgin in the Garden.  Have found that Byatt's novels are
great for holidays because they're so vast - great to get lost in.

I'd also recommend Carol Shields' Republic of Love.  The way she writes
so articulately about the joy and pain of relationships reminds me of
Kate.  Also Helen Garner and Thea Astley, two Australian writers, if you
can find anything by them outside of Australia.

I hope anyone who accepts any of these recommendations enjoys them -
have a great summer all.

Wendy