Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Kate and Gay

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:45:00 +0100
Subject: RE: Kate and Gay
To: Michael Doerr <doerr@cns.mpg.de>, "love-hounds@uunet.uu.net" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Michael Doerr asked:
>I know this topic is quite old, BUT:
>I just want to know what gay topic influenced Kate Bush to her music?!?

Can't remember what I've said on this before. Some of Kate's early
musical/performance influences were gay men. For example she's said that
she was a big fan of Elton John (and sent him fan mail) and that it was
partly because of him that she was attracted to the singer/songwriter
idea.  Then when she was 17/18 she went to a performance of a Genet play
(Flowers) starring Lindsay Kemp, and later took performance classes with
him. And of course at least one of the two dancers on the Tour of Life
were gay. No doubt other people will know of more.

>Are there more things except Kashka, Eddie, Wow etc. ?!?
Not that I can think of off-hand.  One interesting point - Kate has
often said that she is interested in the interplay of masculinity and
femininity, and has criticised herself sometimes from writing/singing
from a man's angle. Funny that in all of her gay references she sees it
from the view of a gay man, and not from a dyke.

>P.S. Are there other gay Kate fans out there ?!? In Germany ?!?
Lots of us around I think, but I don't know of any in Germany. I could
tell you about gay fans from India, Belgium, USA, Brazil and lots in the
UK...

Cheers,
	Mike