Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sexism

From: "Brian J. Dillard" <dillardb@pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:10:35 +0000
Subject: sexism
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Mike Wrote:
Sorry, only a little whinge, but can we keep sexist crap off lovehounds?
 I like being a member of lovehounds and like the people - but I don't
like the nasty taste that some recent messages have left.
Yeah, I know, that sounds dead pious.
-------

yes it does, especially when you leave it deliberately vague what
exactly it was that you found so offensive. if you are talking about the
weight comments, get over it, the people referring to kate's weight were
ironically referring to a longstanding discussion thread that invariably
pisses people off--they weren't advocating discussion of kate's weight,
they were joking about people's preoccupation with it.

of course, it could have been some completely different thread which you
found "sexist." in which case you should say directly what it is that
bothers you so interested parties can directly engage you in
conversation about the topic, or you should privately email the
party(ies) responsible and air your views.

whinge is right!

Brian Dillard
dillardb@pilot.msu.edu

AND WHILE WE'RE AT IT--I love all the debate about TNW, but c'mon, it's
hardly fair to say that love-hounds have been unanimous in their love of
this composition in the past. Believe it or not, once upon a time (ok, i
was only 17 so I can be excused), I HATED The Dreaming (the album).
that's what's so great about an artist with such a varied body of work -
something for everyone. IMHO, of course