Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 9th Wave

From: pdc@acorn.net (pDaleCampbell)
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 09:53:59 -0400
Subject: Re: 9th Wave
To: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>, love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello, all!

First off--Don, please don't mistake my incredulousness for disrespect.

"In essentials, Unity.
 In non-essentials, Liberty.
 In all things, Love."

I would like to state my allegiance to the obvious:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no matter how silly
they are.  I have mine...

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997 18:03:49 -0400 (EDT), Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
wrote:
> "Some that heaven is hell, some say that hell is heaven"

Even more so in Love-Hounds!

Then...
On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 13:42:46 -0400 (EDT), Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
wrote:
> At 4:14 PM -0000 6-4-97, stephanie bush wrote:
> >but I would be _really_ curious as to why you don't like it.
>
> I went back and listened to it yet again after posting...just to make sure.
> And, yes, I can say quite confidently that I find "The Ninth Wave" to be
> the biggest load of pretentious nonsense since "Tales of Topographic
> Oceans" by Yes. I feel like someone is forcing me to listen to the audio
> portion of a bad art movie without at least letting me be distracted by the
> visuals. Obtuse dialogue and obscure production may impress the
> impressionable, but I find it to be hopelessly self-indulgent.

I don't know what's going on here, but at least you're consistent.
You don't like what I consider the masterpieces of my favorite female
artist and group!

> Contrast this with the wonderfully well-realized combination of songwriting
> craft, production and performance in the five songs in "Hounds of Love"
> sequence.

The worst problem with the HoL side is that, on an admittedly outstanding
day, more than one of today's "popular" artists could have produced similar
work.

TNW, however, is uniquely a product of the gift of genius that is Kate.

> > It pretty effectively encapsulates _everything_ I like about KB's
> >music - it's simply a beautifully, beautifully realized work of art.
    (Amen!)

> Okay. I think TNW allows KB's worst tendencies for pretension run wild for
> far too long.

Have you watched _The_Line,_the_Cross_and_the_Curve_?  (Now there *I*
go! At least you won't be hanging alone.)

> > I would cautiously
> >propose that it is one of those things that transcends such oppositions as
> >good/bad;  i.e. you may not _like_ it, but you still recognize its merit,
> >correct?
>
> Sorry, but I don't recognize its merit. I think TNW is something we're
> supposed to be kind about, right?

No.
This group uniformly (until now :) recognizes the genius of TNW.
(Actually, since I don't know how you feel about using smileys,
I would guess you are joking here.)

> > just wondering - I hate to just _assume_ that you are a pod
> >person!
>
> Actually, I'm a singles person. I think KB's best work is when she makes
> herself accessible in the more structured environment than the
> less-disciplined album setting.

One more thing... How did you like Pink Floyd's _The_Wall_?

And then...
On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:49:52 -0400 (EDT), Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
wrote:
> At 8:06 PM -0000 6-4-97, stephanie bush wrote:
> >i could argue that the 'hounds of love' side has a thematic quality to it
> >also,
>
> It would most likely be an unsuccessful argument, however.

Yet it is long-standing doctrine in this group.

Let me close by saying I don't see how someone can consider Kate a
uniquely gifted artist (and I haven't seen Don make that claim) and
not appreciate TNW.

But then, I like much a what Tori Amos has done, until BfP.

___ "I think you're all completely mad"-Kate (to her fans)
 |  "Love between the ugly
 |/     is the most beautiful love of all"-Todd       pDaleCampbell
 |\                                                   pdc@acorn.net
KT - - - - - - - - -   u m o p   a p ! s d n   - - - - - - - - - KT