Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gaffa Revisited

From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 12:08:56 -0500
Subject: Gaffa Revisited
To: "'love-hounds@gryphon.com'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Encoding: 34 TEXT

A contribution to the eternal debate as to the meaning of
Kate's "Suspended in Gaffa".  Here is view by way
of comparison.

"...those that love the world serve it in action,
Grow rich, popular and full of influence,
And should they paint or write, still it is action:
The struggle of the fly in marmalade.
The rhetorician would deceive his neighbours,
The sentimentalist, himself; while art
Is but a vision of reality.
What portion in the world can the artist have
Who has awakened from the common dream
But dissipation and despair?

... I seek an image, not a book.
Those men that in their writings are most wise
Own nothing but their blind, stupefied hearts.
I call to the mysterious one who yet
Shall walk the wet sands by the edge of the stream
And look most like me, being indeed my double,
And prove of all imaginable things
The most unlike, being my anti-self,
And standing by these characters disclose
All that I seek; and whisper it as though
He were afraid the birds, who cry aloud
Their momentary cries before it is dawn,
Would carry it away to blasphemous men."

- Ego Dominus Tuus - From "The Wild Swans
at Coole" by William Butler Yeats - 1919

len bullard