Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A funny thing happened to me in the car

From: Matt Humphrey <stock@capital.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 12:27:12 +0000
Subject: A funny thing happened to me in the car
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

I was listening to alterna-radio in the car the other day, and I heard
a sort of repetitive strumming noise that reminded me of The Red
Shoes.  Then a bass broke in, and a piano, so I turned it up, thinking
it was very Kate-esque and wondering if it were a new Fiona Apple tune
or something.

Turns out it was Tori; Cornflake Girl.  I frankly haven't listened to
much Tori, don't own any of her albums, and have largely stayed out of
the Kate/Tori debate.  But based on what I've heard, including my
experience on the radio, I have to say that Tori is definitely in
Kate's mold.  Tori is obviously talented, and has her own quirks and
strengths, but she is definitely working in the shadow of Kate.

Just my opinion.

Matt

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/2088/noodle.html

 "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success
is sure."
-Mark Twain