Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: cover of "moving"

From: u821635@Oz.nthu.edu.tw (Catwalk)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 10:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: cover of "moving"
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Kenneth Choi (shepherd@po.pacific.net.sg) wrote:
: hi guys. there's a mandarin cover of kate's "moving" on
: home.pacific.net.sg/~shepherd/start.html
: go take a look :)
    That female singer's name is Valen Hsu, and this version is in her second
album, Sea of Tears, which sold more than 600,000 copies in Taiwan alone.
But I don't like her version at all: the arrangements and her vocal sound
*almost* like the original, only much weaker and more pretentious just like
most of the copycats, and the lyrics mean nothing but a pile of random words.
What is interesting (or painful) is see how her imitate Kate's voice, but
beside that, it only makes me wanna *cry out loud* (the Mandarin title.)
It's said that she made another Mandarin cover of Kate's song on her first
album, but I've never heard of it myself; BTW, the featured single on that
album is another cover: Tori's "Winter", which sounds terribly similar,
like she's recorded it in karaoke style...