Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Politics

From: Chris Williams <chrisw@wwa.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 10:13:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Politics
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

The interestingly-named Albert Lust wrote:

>>Regarding yesterday's British Election : does anyone know where Kate's
>>political sympathies lie (if she has any) ?

>Well, one assumes that "Breathing" was a statement in support of nuclear
>disarmament, but apart from that...

    Also, she's been involved in quite a few charitable activities that appear
(to American eyes) fairly "liberal". The Secret Policeman's Ball for
Amnesty International, the Greenpeace compliation record...

    Kate has been amazingly silent on the subject of politics, even more
than she usually is on most subjects. But I doubt a supporter of the
Conservative Party would have written the music for The Comic
Strip's "GLC". For those of you just joining us, in this several layered
parody, Jessica Saunders plays Bridgette Neilson as The Ice Maiden/
Margaret Thatcher. Robbie Coletrane was Charles Bronson as
"Red" Ken Livingstone, about whom Kate sang "Who's the funky
sex machine?!"

    Mabe it's just me, but it's hard to imagine Kate singing that about
John Major.

>The Kate Bush chronology (from The Garden, a section of Gaffaweb, see
>address below) says that on 10 April 1979, on the eve of the Tour of Life
>performance in Manchester, Kate posed for a photo op with then-Prime
>Minister Jim Callaghan.  Surprisingly, this did not help him win the
>election...but I think we can assume that Kate and her family were not
>Thatcherites.  Unlike, say, the Spice Girls.

   Well, when you're more manufactured than the Monkees, you support
whoever your manager tells you to. Kate always has been her own woman.

Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
      chrisw@wwa.com
"How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb