Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

susan mckeown, spam, etc.

From: meredith <meth@smoe.org>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 17:26:49 -0400
Subject: susan mckeown, spam, etc.
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

Y'know, I was starting to get worried that this place had lost its touch.
There hadn't been any inane Tori-bashing here in what, six weeks?  :P
Cripes -- give it a rest, people, and save some space in all of our
mailboxes for worthwhile topics.

Joe Joyner inquired:

>Does anyone know anything much about Susan McKeown and Chanting House. I
>understand that she is from Dublin, but now lives in the states. She
>(they) are performing in Denver soon, and I've heard a few good things
>about her. Our local record stores don't have anything by her (but they
>can order it), and I was just wondering if anyone who is familiar with her
>work might attempt to describe it.

Kelley did a pretty good job, but I have seen her live (more times than I
can count), so I feel qualified to add that she will blow you away live. :)
 This is guaranteed even though she'll probably only have one (or maybe
two) other members of the Chanting House with her, since the only place the
full band ever gets together to play is at Fez in New York City. Her voice
is phenomenal, her musicians are top-notch (guitarist Chris Cunningham is
amazing, and bassist Lindsey Horner is even more amazing), and she's also
one of the coolest people on the planet.  Her shows have consisted of more
and more new material lately, and it's all really, really good (the song
"Seven Cold Glories" is one of my favorite songs ever, and it's never been
recorded anywhere yet).

I highly recommend that you check her out when she's in Denver.  She needs
all the support she can get!  Also, you can order _Bones_ by calling
1-800-PRIME-CD.

As for the spam topic, I have been getting quite a bit of the vile stuff
myself lately, and the only reason I can think of is because this list is
gated to rec.music.gaffa, which means that every spammer slithering in the
dank corners of the Net has access to my e-dress to use for their invidious
purposes.  Reason #1 to separate the list from the newsgroup, imho, but
that one's already been done to death around here to no avail, so I'm not
going to bring it up again.

ObKate: Heard "There Goes A Tenner" on the radio the other morning.  Talk
about a shock...

| Meredith Tarr                                              meth@smoe.org |
| Boonton, NJ USA                                http://www.smoe.org/~meth |
|       "I'll take implosion over dissolution any day" - Emily Bezar       |