Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The eternal Kate-Tori debate

From: "Jean Moirano." <Crunch@mail.dotcom.fr>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:16:43 +0200
Subject: Re: The eternal Kate-Tori debate
To: <love-hounds@gryphon.com>, "Marcel F G Rijs" <mfgr@bart.nl>

Hi there from Paris,
I saw Tori 2 years ago and the show has been very poor.
many people leaved the theatre before the end (me too).
Yes,she's beautifull but her music is weak compared to KB.
Have a nice day and enjoy the Muzik.

Jean.

----------
> From: Marcel F G Rijs <mfgr@bart.nl>
> To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
> Subject: The eternal Kate-Tori debate
> Date: dimanche 11 mai 1997 23:45
>
> Hi,
>
> Larry J. Hernandez <alundra@flash.net> writes:
> >Jordan Schuster <jordan57@execpc.com> on the Joni Mitchell
> >list wrote:
> >As most Kate Bush fanatics (read: me) would assert, Tori (not
> >counting her Y Kant Tori Read phase) first come out as a direct
> >rip-off of Kate.  Her _Little Earthquakes_ album not only was
> >an attempt to pass her off as a Kate clone, but even down to
> >the album design, it was a horrible way to market Tori, and it
> >was that that turned me immediately off to her after I bought the
> >album in anticipation of hearing someone who supposedly approached
> >the "true genious" of Kate Bush.  I had hoped at the time that I
> >would discover another true musical "katelike" artist such as
> >Happy Rhodes, who I had been thankful to discover (thanks Vickie!)

> >It was not to be, for me.
>
> "An attempt to pass her off as a Kate clone"? Well excuse me, but I
think
> I've missed something here.It's true that when I read a review of
"Little
> Earthquakes" in early 1992,  Tori was compared to the likes of a.o.
Kate
> Bush, but that was also the way I got to listen to Beverley Craven,
Sam
> Brown and Mylene Farmer, to name but a few.
> Upon listening to the album I saw every comparison fade away -
except for
> the fact that, simply said, they both play the piano and they both
are female.

> [...]
> >> I know Joni is one of Tori's favorite artists, but
> >> does anyone know how joni feels about tori??  A lot of
entertainment
> >> magazines have made comments like tori is joni on crack, i
wonder if
> >> joni agrees!?
> >> :)
> >> jordan
> >
> >I've never heard or read of Tori being compared to Joni, but over
and
> >over again the comparisons are made between Tori and Kate.  And
that
> >is a bogus comparison: Tori only "sounds" like Kate: her music is
> >nowhere near the quality of Kate's or Joni's, but at the same
time, I
> >must reiterate that I respect Tori nonetheless for her hard work.
>
> Wrong on many counts here. Yes, Tori was compared to Joni numerous
times,
> but only during the year 1994, when Tori released "Under the pink"
and
> recorded a (very well-made, BTW) cover of "A case of you".
> The fact that the Kate-Tori comparison keeps popping up is probably
a case
> of bad journalism: in the beginning, it has been written several
times and
> these articles are always read before another journalist starts
doing an
> interview.
> I can't speak for other countries, but I've not heard the
comparison in the
> Dutch press anymore for two to three years now. I won't tell you
Dutch
> press is better than the press in other countries
but...............
> Tori does not sound like Kate at all. If you'd listen to her music,
and if
> you wish, "eat" it, you will notice a vague echo of a more
cabaretest Kate
> (see "Coffee Homeground")  in Tori's "The wrong band", recorded in
1993.
> Otherwise, there is no similarity. Okay, they both have a female
voice,
> I'll grant you that. But it's ridiculous to call that "sounding
like"
> someone.
> And finally: Tori's music is nowhere near the quality of Kate's and
Joni's?
>  I can't speak about Joni, because I don't know much about her
music, but
> it is true that Tori's music is nowhere near the quality of Kate's.
Simply
> because Tori is _better_. As much as I hate to say this, but I
don't think
> Kate would be capable of doing the following:
> - Recording a track in one take, and still sounding like an
intricate web
> of beautiful melodies. ("Thoughts", "Not the red baron")
> - Hearing a song one time and doing a cover of it on the spot
("lovesong",
> originally by the Cure)
> - Taking a song, even one as ghastly as "Smells like teen spirit"
and
> making it your very own with the aid of just one piano and your
voice.

> Kate is a good musician in her own right, but through the years
I've
> discovered that there are better ones, who can perform without all
the aid
> of knobs and faders she seems to need. I hope you will open your
eyes and
> ears someday as well.
>
> And to the people who are reading this with disgust: yes, I _am_ a
KateFan.
> But I do not wish to treat her as  infallible. Nor do I see Tori as
such:
> her last album contained too much manierism.
> But if you face facts, you'll probably come to the same
conclusions.