Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This Woman's Work lyrics

From: ttuerff@primenet.com (Tom Tuerff)
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 22:02:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: This Woman's Work lyrics
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <199704262254.AAA28631@mailbox.swip.net>,
mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen) wrote:

> Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert) writes:
>
> >Please excuse this probably silly question from a non-native
> >speaker, but in the lines
> >
> >Ooh, it's hard on the man,
> >Now his part is over.
> >
> >does "hard on" have the double meaning that i think it has?
> >(would make sense somehow)
>
> As another non-native speaker, my first impression is
> (the way she sings it): "very difficult for..."
> Well, not exactly. My limited vocabulary inhibits me to
> give a better describtion. But I feel 'he' is having a hard
> time coping with a situation as well as his own feelings.
>

> I think you should explain what you think is the other
> meaning...  The only other meaning for "hard on" that _I_ can
> think of is "erect". But personally I have a VERY hard time
> believing that Kate had that in mind as she wrote that
> particular piece of lyrics.

Rolf: "This Woman's Work" was originally written for a movie called "She's
Having a Baby" for a scene near the end where the "she" in the title
develops complications and the man is left in the waiting room
contemplating the possible loss of both his wife and child. What's "hard"
is the helplessness the man feels--he can't do anything but stand back and
wait.

It's not a song about relationships; it's about a scene in a movie.

TT

--
All we are saying is give booze a chance--Bonzo Dog Band