Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What's all this negativity?

From: Mike H <mikeh@bj-clark.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 20:47:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: What's all this negativity?
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <tNm2PHAVC9PzIwAd@dragonfire.demon.co.uk>, Julian Shaw
<julian@dragonfire.demon.co.uk> writes
>[From thread: "Unidentified subject!"]
>
>Hmmm. Seems to be a lot of negativity suddenly flying around in Kate's
>direction.

etc...

I'm moved to add my fourpenn'worth, albeit briefly cos it's getting
late:

As regards slagging off Lionheart etc:

    AAARRRGH! STOP IT!!!

I'll tell you a story. I once hated TD. No, wait a minute, WAIT! Of
course I was a bit younger and more naive then when it first came out,
but I know what I thought was wrong with it. At the time it was too
different, too soon. However, later on I was determined to get into it
more, and it subsequently became one of my favourites. I say one of,
because actually I think they're all terrific but I have to be in the
right mood to get the best out of any particular one, if you see what I
mean.

I still very much like the early ones because they still sound sort of
fresh and new, or at another time I'll prefer the comparative
sophistication of one of the later ones. Some of them are instantly
seductive - having first bought RS I played it every day for a month.
Even made a cassette for the car as I couldn't bear to be without it -
'course you can rather overdo a good thing...

I can confess that one or two songs from almost any album may also get
on my nerves sometimes for one reason or another. But in an effort to
bury the subject of whether anyone thinks this or another album or track
shouldn't have been done like that or could've been better, etc., why
don't we let the lady herself have the last word?

This from the TWW boxed set leaflet -

"Please be kind to my mistakes - because I'm not."

Um, what else was there? Oh right - my own other favourite female
artists (see other thread) - Enya, Marie Brennan (with Clannad), Alanis
Morrisette, Kirsty McColl (lovely dry lyrics), Kim Carnes, Dusty
Springfield, Amanda Lear (that's foxed you!)

--
Mike H (UK)