Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hard Lyrics

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 14:56:00 +0100
Subject: Hard Lyrics
To: "'Love Hounds'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Without commenting on Mikael Jakonen's appropriate phrasing "I  have a
VERY hard time believing that Kate had that in mind..."     Well, I tend
to agree, it doesn't flow as if Kate was meaning that intentionally. But
then I remember her saying in an interview many moons ago that she never
saw The Saxaphone Song as being sexual when she wrote it, but that once
it was pointed out to her, she too couldn't see it in any other way.
She agreed that her subconscious must have been at work when she wrote
it. ("The stars that climb from her bowels, those stars make towers in
vowels....ooh, you'll never see you had all of me...honey, it's in me,
it's in me, it's in me, and you know it's for real, tuning in on your
saxaphone").

And if anyone out there doubts that Kate does sometimes have a tendency
towards bawdy lyrics, take another listen to the wonderful Ran Tan
Waltz.

On a similar vein, I have always been fond of the Choruses to Breathing
-  I have no idea whether it's intentional or not, but has anyone else
noticed the way that the "out/in/out" section  ends with a very breathy
"in" in the first chorus (conception?) and a much more agonised "out" in
the second (birth?) . Seems to make some kind of sense to me anyway.

I also thought it was very nice of the Kate Bush Club to make black and
white badges saying either "out" or "in" for us. Quite a few friends of
mine will be wearing one or the other on the gay pride march this
year...
Hope to see a few Bush fans there.

Mike
"Heaven preserve me from littleness and pleasantness and smoothness.
Give me great glaring vices and great glaring virtues, but preserve me
from neat little neutral ambiguities. Be wicked, be brave, be drunk, be
reckless, be dissolute, be despotic, be an anarchist, be a suffragette,
be anything you like, but for pity's sake be it to the top of your bent.
Live fully, live passionately, live disastrously. Let's live, you and I,
as none have ever lived before." (Violet Treffusis to Vita Sackville
West, 1918)