Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re:This Woman's Work lyrics

From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 00:54:27 +0200 (MET DST)
Subject: Re:This Woman's Work lyrics
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert) writes:

>Please excuse this probably silly question from a non-native
>speaker, but in the lines
>
>Ooh, it's hard on the man,
>Now his part is over.
>
>does "hard on" have the double meaning that i think it has?
>(would make sense somehow)

As another non-native speaker, my first impression is
(the way she sings it): "very difficult for..."
Well, not exactly. My limited vocabulary inhibits me to
give a better describtion. But I feel 'he' is having a hard
time coping with a situation as well as his own feelings.

I think you should explain what you think is the other
meaning...  The only other meaning for "hard on" that _I_ can
think of is "erect". But personally I have a VERY hard time
believing that Kate had that in mind as she wrote that
particular piece of lyrics.

Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se