Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Other artists

From: Kent <chr.cs-kf@a.chr.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:21:57 -0800
Subject: Re: Other artists
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

> I think the female solo artist thing is just a trend and should taper off
> within a couple of years.   There are too many emulators and not enough
> innovators.  I don't even know some of the names mentioned above...
> Who's Shawn Colvin, Jonatha Brooke and Linda Perry?
> I do know who Alanis Morrisette is...although I wish I didn't...she has very
> little talent IMHO...she's just an annoying little brat.

I don't know who mentioned it on this list, but Dalbello has an album
out as of late last year called "whore" (Dusty, who answered her e-mail,
sends her warmest regards to the philocanines).  Lest you think Dalbello
a mere emulator, recall that she released albums in a similar style in
the mid-80s.

Now, the parallels between Alanis and Dalbello are obvious, especially
the name change along with the style change (Lisa Dalbello: pop-->
Dalbello: hard, edgy; Alanis: pop-->Alanis Morisette: hard, edgy).  Hand
it to Alanis, though, for timing; the world was ready for "Jagged Little
Pill" in 1995 whereas it wasn't ready for "She" (with the possible
exception of the single "Tango") in the mid-80s.  Heart just covered
"Black on Black" a couple of years ago now, but better late than never.

Peace,

Kent