Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Other Artists

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 26 Mar 97 11:28:42 EST
Subject: Re: Other Artists
To: thompl01@bh.bbc.co.uk (Lisa Thompson), love-hounds@gryphon.com

--- Lisa Thompson wrote:

Hands up whose record collections seem to lean towards the solo female
songwriter like mine does.... if your hand is up there who else do you
listen too?
The cd's I play mostly lately are,
Tori Amos, Shawn Colvin, Jonatha Brooke, Linda Perry and Alanis
Morrisette....
None really in Kate's style (excluding the on-going argument re: Tori).

Lisa
--- end of quoted material ---
Although I do have a few solo female artists in my collection (Jane Siberry,
Happy Rhodes, Tori Amos, Loreena McKennitt, Bjork),  most of my collection
tends to gravitate towrds 70s Rock and Prog. Bands  (ELP, Gentle Giant,
King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Amazing Blondel, Tangerine Dream) and more recently
Phish and Tears For Fears.

I think the female solo artist thing is just a trend and should taper off
within a couple of years.   There are too many emulators and not enough
innovators.  I don't even know some of the names mentioned above...
Who's Shawn Colvin, Jonatha Brooke and Linda Perry?
I do know who Alanis Morrisette is...although I wish I didn't...she has very
little talent IMHO...she's just an annoying little brat.

peace

ron